Monday, June 12, 2017

Buddhist Funeral Service


Received Lily's phone call almost 3am in the middle of the night.  "Can you help me arrange my father's funeral? He has just passed on some 10 minutes ago at the hospital."

I jumped into action straight away as I was informed a few weeks back that her father was not in a very promising condition and that I should be on standby.

As I arrived at the hospital ICU some 30 minutes later, there was Lily and her grieving mum together with other tearful siblings keeping each other supported emotionally. While waiting for the hospital personnel to get ready for the transport of remains to the mortuary, I gave a brief explanation on the funeral process and items required to be ready for the en-coffin needs.  The family then had a clear understanding on the sequence of event leading from the prayer rites right up to the cremation, which would take place three days later.  A phone message was drafted immediately with details to be conveyed to relatives and friends informing them the venue of the wake and time for the funeral procession. This was an efficient way for the family so that they can mourn wholeheartedly without having to worry about verbal communication errors.

The family was very appreciative with the overall coordination of the funeral, with total preemptive planning and preparations that ease them of with last minute decision making and incurring unnecessary spending. 

Lily was my long supportive client dating back to year 2009, who has been introducing friends and relatives to me.  And I regard this as the time for me to redeem the trust and support that I have been entrusted all these years, and that my promises to make sure a smooth and dignified funeral for her beloved father shall never fail.










No comments: