Thursday, March 14, 2013

One Today Is Worth Two Tomorrows


I have been keeping Mrs Poon accompanied in all the prayers (Chinese tradition of the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th week memorial prayers after a funeral) after her beloved husband passed on some two months ago.

Mrs Poon has not really 'let go' of her husband although he left at the age of 86 when many will feel that it is an age that one has lived a “complete cycle of life", and that they called it a day.

Mrs Poon was distraught, sad and remorseful.

Now that she is all alone she often recalls the last moments of his time:

She regretted for not buying him his last request of Hokkien Mee for supper in the hospital as she thought he could have them later when he is discharged.
She regretted for not allowing him to carry his grandchildren as she thought that he could cuddle them later when his skin condition improves. 
She regretted for not talking to him properly as they often argued over the slightest issues.
She regretted that one of her children did not make it back to visit her father till the day he passes on.

Sometimes she drowns herself in the memory of the good old days where they went out together and her shoulders became his walking stick for support.
She recalled having him lying down at the rattan settee all afternoon just to keep her accompanied.
She recalled the precious gifts he had given her during their happy times.
She recalled how he prevented her from driving to work even though she had a valid driving license just to show he cares for her safety.

But he is no longer there anymore now; she has no one to confide in.  

She told me she often felt his presence that is when she had goose bumps out of a sudden.

While seeing Mrs Poon dwelling in the loss of her loved one, I was a little helpless and this song from Ronan Keating keeps lingering on my mind. 

"If Tomorrow Never Comes"

Sometimes late at night
I lie awake and watch her sleeping
She's lost in peaceful dreams
So I turn out the lights and lay there in the dark
And the thought crosses my mind
If I never wake up in the morning
Would she ever doubt the way I feel
About her in my heart

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

'Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings for them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of

If tomorrow never comes

No comments: